To make a Joomla site visible on the Internet, a server is a must. And the performance of the server poses a decisive impact on the future success of your site. If you have no idea about which web host to choose, you can either refer to the top choices on reliable hosting review sites, or search for providers in Google and judge their value by taking the following factors into consideration.
1. Joomla CompatibilityThe first thing you have to check is whether the web host supports Joomla well. As Joomla runs in any hosting environment equipped with the required versions of PHP, MySQL and Apache, it is supported by most web hosts in the market. However, it is suggested to check the versions of PHP, database and web server carefully to make sure they can be used to run the latest version of Joomla.
2. Joomla InstallationThere are two ways to get Joomla installed – manual installation and automated installation. For the former method, the user has to create a database, download Joomla and configure it manually, which is hard and time-consuming for beginners. However, some web hosts offer auto installers which automate the entire installation process and get all things done in seconds. Such an installer is quite helpful, eliminating all the technical obstacles.
3. Web Hosting Control PanelThe control panel you will use determines how you can manage your Joomla site and the hosting account. A functional control panel should include an easy-to-understand interface, rich features and active support.
For Linux web hosting, cPanel is the best choice while there are some other good options like Plesk and Webmin. Custom control panel is not recommended unless you have tested it with a demo and made sure it could meet your needs.
4. Support for Multiple DatabasesBeing a database-driven application, Joomla requires a database for installation and running. Some web hosts offer one database which is enough if you only want to host a single website. However, it would be better to purchase a web hosting plan including two or more databases in case that you may need a second Joomla site (for example, a shopping cart or a blog).
5. Number of the Hosted DomainSimilar to the database, you will need a domain to start a Joomla site. For many beginners and individuals, one domain is enough, but others demand more in order to satisfy diverse needs. Of course, you can buy more web hosting plans for separate sites, but this will result in a much higher cost and harder management.
Before making a purchase, ask yourself how many websites you will have, and then choose a web host that can support your needs. If you are not sure, then you should consider a solution which allows you to host two or more domains on one account.
6. Hosting CostCost is a concern for almost everyone. If you have a limited budget and don't want advanced server control, a web host offering affordable plans at no more than $8/mo could be your choice. You can even find cheap single-domain plans which are priced about $4/mo.
However, you should remember not to sacrifice the ease of use or web hosting features just for an extremely low price. The prices must be reasonable instead of looking suspicious.
7. Hosting SecurityWhen choosing a web host for Joomla, you have to make sure its hosting services are secure enough to prevent your site from being open to hackers and attackers. You can check this by searching the web host online to see whether it has gone through serious attacks. Besides, a web host with suPHP, SSL, SSH, automated backups and firewalls included in the feature list is more recommended.
8. Reliability of the InfrastructureThis matters to the uptime of your Joomla site. As low availability will damage your online presence, you must stay away from any web host utilizing poor infrastructure and having frequent downtime issues. You can read user reviews and the uptime statistics published on the Internet before making a decision.
9. Hosting SpeedThe speed of your website is crucial for user experience and SEO. Therefore, you have to avoid those slow web hosts. To check the performance of a web host's services, you can read as many editorial reviews and user reviews as possible, or test the speed by yourself with a speed test tool.
10. Technical Support and Joomla ExpertiseJoomla comes with an extensive community where you can find people who are willing to lend a hand when you have troubles. However, you still need to find a web host offering support at any time with enough Joomla expertise because you will rely much on its support team during the setup of your hosting account and Joomla site.
Some web hosting providers put much emphasis on technical support and hire technicians who are knowledgeable, while others don't. Be sure that you can receive timely and effective support.
We hope this tutorial has helped you in learning about How to select the best joomla web hosting for your site. Share your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section below.